This is a quick and easy, delicious dessert. It’s allergy-friendly and can be made vegan too! I’ve been experimenting a lot with quick puddings you can throw together in a cup in just a few minutes, and this is my favourite. Even my super fussy 7-year-old loved it and ate the lot!
Cheesecake is my favourite dessert. I’ve been wanting to make one for ages that I could share with my whole family with all our multiple allergies and intolerances. I was so excited when both Koko and Violife came out with new dairy free cream cheese that doesn’t contain any other allergens! It’s not a true cheesecake, as it wouldn’t set in the same way, but the flavour and texture is there.
As well as being allergy-friendly, I think it is also low-FODMAPs. The only ingredient I’m not sure about is the dairy-free cream cheese. It definitely doesn’t contain lactose! But I’m not sure if it’s completely FODMAP free.
Use your favourite biscuit according to your dietary needs. A digestive is the classic base for a cheesecake, and there are lots of free from options out there. Gluten free Hob Nobs are a gluten free and vegan option (but they do contain oats). Of course you could use free from shortbread biscuits or whatever you have to hand.
Dairy-free yogurt – again, there are lots of choices out there nowadays, I prefer Koko dairy free as it doesn’t contain any allergens at all. If that doesn’t suit there are soya yogurts and nut milk yogurts available too. I used plain yogurt but strawberry would work too of course.
Dairy-free cream cheese – Koko is my favourite taste-wise and Violife is good too. Both are free from the top allergens. Sainsbury’s and Tesco have their own brand versions (which contain soya).
- 1 allergen-free/vegan biscuit
- 2 tbsp dairy-free cream cheese
- 2 tbsp dairy-free plain yogurt
- 5 medium-sized ripe strawberries
- 1 tsp icing sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Strawberry sauce (optional)
- Biscuit layer: Crush 1 allergen-free/vegan biscuit in the bottom of a small glass.
- Pink layer: in a separate bowl, mash together 1 tbsp dairy-free cream cheese, 1 tbsp dairy-free yogurt and 3 ripe strawberries. Carefully spoon on top of the biscuit layer.
- White layer: in another separate bowl, mash together 1 tbsp dairy-free cream cheese, 1 tbsp dairy-free yogurt, 1 tsp icing sugar and ¼ tsp vanilla extract. Carefully spoon on top of the pink layer.
- Top with sliced strawberries and/or strawberry sauce