Chicken, leek and mushroom pie is one of my favourite dinners, ever since I learned to make it for the first time in home economic classes at school. Who doesn’t love pie? The crisp pastry on top and the delicious saucy filling underneath. Yum! My husband actually made the pie shown in the photo, using my recipe. He was obviously in an Angry Birds kinda mood that day! This dairy free chicken pie is suitable for those with allergies and can be made gluten-free too.
—Contains Affilliate Links—
This dairy free chicken pie is a great opportunity to sneak in some homemade stock – full of calcium and other minerals needed for bone health. This is especially important on a dairy-free diet. Plus it is reputed to be healing for the gut and may be beneficial for those with food sensitivities.
Dairy Free Pastry
To save time I like to use ready made pastry for this dairy free chicken pie, but you can of course make your own if you prefer. (There is a great recipe for allergen-free shortcrust pastry in The Intolerant Gourmet by Pippa Kendrick). Did you know that Jus-Rol ready made pastry doesn’t contain any dairy or egg.? The only allergen it does contain is wheat, and there is a gluten-free version available as an alternative, so there’s an option for everybody. In fact, most ready made pastry is dairy free (apart from the ones marked ‘all butter’, of course!). Genius also make a frozen gluten- and dairy-free shortcrust pastry (contains egg).
Dairy Free Cream
There are a couple of different dairy free cream alternatives available on the market. Oatly Oat Cream and Alpro Soya Cream. Alpro used to make a Coconut ‘Cream’ but sadly, it seems to have been discontinued now. Don’t use coconut cream from a tin, it’s not the same and will taste much too coconutty. You can also make your own cashew cream.
Dairy Free Chicken Pie
- 4 leeks, sliced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, stalks removed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 250 g baby chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 50g plain flour or gluten-free flour
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml dairy free cream alternative
- 1 pack puff or shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg beaten, to glaze (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- In a large saucepan, fry the leeks and thyme in oil until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and chicken and cook until the chicken is browned.
- Add 50g flour and stir well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in 250ml chicken stock and 150ml dairy free cream alternative.
- Pour the mixture into a pie dish.
- Roll out the pastry and place on top of the pie. Cut to fit with scissors - remember the pastry will shrink as it cooks so be generous. Cut a cross in the middle and brush with the beaten egg, if using.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes, until the pastry is golden.